How to Change Language on Facebook
While English might be the default language on Facebook, it supports over 100 other languages as well. With such a vast array of languages available, it is quite likely that the social media platform will be available in your language of choice as well (in case it isn’t English). And don’t worry, you don’t need to run some complicated computer codes to change your language on Facebook. All you need to follow are a bunch of steps. All of which, we will be discussing today. In this post, we will take a look at the steps that you can use to change your language settings on both your desktop and mobile app. Let’s get started. Remember, these steps are for the classic version of Facebook. So if you are currently using the most recent version of Facebook, you should revert to the classic version before you can apply these steps. Once you have changed the language, you can switch back to the most recent version of Facebook.
How to change the language on Facebook: Steps to Follow
Web browser (desktop)
Via Account Settings:
The easiest way to change the language on Facebook is by accessing your account settings. Here’s what you need to do:
- Click or tap the arrow on the far right side of the Facebook menu bar, to the right of the Quick Help question mark.
- At the bottom of the menu, click on Settings.
- Look for the language tab on the left, select it.
- Select the “Edit” option next to “Facebook language”.
- Click or tap the down arrow underneath “Show Facebook in this language”, and choose another one from the drop-down menu.
- Click on Save Changes so that your language of choice can be applied to Facebook.
Via News Feed:
Aside from accessing your account settings, you can also change the language on Facebook via your news feed. Here’s what you need to do:
- Go to your news feed and look for the language menu on the right. You might have to find it under the ads. Once you find it, select a language from the list.
- Click Change Language.
- Another option is to click the plus (+) sign to see all of the supported languages.
- Select a language from that screen to immediately apply it to your Facebook.
- You can then “Translate Facebook” in the language of your choice.
Whether you are using the mobile browser on an iPhone or an Android device, the steps to change the language on Facebook are the same. Here’s what you need to do:
- At the top right corner, tap “Menu”.
- Scroll down, select the “Help and Settings” section and tap on “Language”.
- Choose the language of your choice from the ensuing list of languages. To revert to the original language, follow the same steps.
Here’s how you can change the language on Facebook on the Android app:
- On the top right corner of the map, tap on “Menu”.
- Scroll down till you reach Settings & Privacy, tap that and then tap on “Language”.
- Select the language of your choice from the list, the change happens automatically.
- To go back to the original language, follow the same steps.
How to Undo a Facebook Language Change
In case you changed your Facebook language by mistake or changed it to a language that makes the site difficult to read and use, you can change it back to the language that you wanted, even if you are unable to understand any of the menus or settings in the current language.
You can use a translator service to translate the entire website into English (or any language of your choice). It will make a lot of the stuff very easy to read. However, the translations are sometimes a bit off and they are definitely never permanent.
You must also remember that no matter the language, the site format and structure of Facebook will be the same. So you can navigate through the site as long as you know where the right buttons and menus are supposed to be. Here’s what you need to do:
- Go straight to your language settings.
- Click Edit on the top right (it will be in the current language that you set).
- Find the language of your choice in the ensuing drop-down menu. Click the blue button below the menu to save the change.