Stories are temporary pieces of content that can only be viewed a limited number of times/for a limited duration before they are deleted. The concept of stories can be traced back to Snapchat’s system of sending “snaps” which would only be available for a user for 24 hours and can only be viewed a limited number of times. If someone took a screenshot of the snap, the snap’s sender got a notification about that as well. After Facebook purchased Instagram, it brought about a Snapchat type concept in the form of stories. Eventually, stories became a feature across Facebook and Whatsapp as well. Facebook stories are a fantastic way for you to share short clips of your fun adventures (or just about anything else) with friends. Once you publish a story on Facebook, your friends and followers can see it for 24 hours. If you want to learn how to delete a story, this post has got you covered. The steps for deleting a Facebook story are more or less the same on desktop and mobile phones. In case there’s something specific that you need to do differently, we will specify it. Let’s get started.
Deleting Facebook Stories: Steps to Follow
How to Delete a Facebook Story Element
Regardless of how many slides of Facebook stories you have, deleting them is very easy. This is what you need to do:
- Select your Facebook Story at the top of your newsfeed.
- Select the three dot icon in the upper-right corner of the story.
- Select Delete Photo or Delete Video, then select Delete to confirm.
Repeat this process for as many photos/videos/texts as you want to delete from your story. Once you delete your story, it’s removed permanently.
How to Activate Your Facebook Story Archive
Even though your stories become inaccessible to others after 24 hours, you can still access them by enabling your story archive. If you enable this option, all of your stories will be archived automatically after 24 hours. Here’s what you need to do to enable it:
- From your Newsfeed, tap on your profile picture in the upper-left corner. For the desktop version, from your Newsfeed, select your name in the upper-left corner to go to your profile.
- Select the three dot icon, then select Story Archive. For the desktop version, select Archive from the line under your profile picture.
- Select the three dot icon in the upper-right corner, then select Settings. For the Facebook desktop version, select the gear icon in the upper-right corner.
- Toggle the Save to Archive option to on. For the Facebook desktop version, select Turn On Story Archive.
How to Delete an Archived Facebook Story
In case you want to get rid of some stories from your archive, you can do that as well. Here’s what you need to do:
- Go to your Facebook Profile Page.
- Select the three dot icon, then select Story Archive. On the Facebook desktop version, select Archive from the line under your profile picture.
- Select the Facebook story you wish to delete.
Remember, once you delete an archived story, you will never be able to get it back.
How to Control Who Sees Your Story
Whenever you add a story, you can decide who can view it. Just like your Facebook posts, you can choose if your story can be viewed by everyone, friends, or friends of friends. If you want to hide your story from certain people, you can do that too. Here’s how you can do it:
- Add a photo or video to your Facebook Story.
- Tap Privacy in the lower-left corner. On Facebook for the desktop, select the Friends box next to Your Story to access who can see your story.
- Choose from the options for who can see your story.
- Select Save.
After this, only the people you want can see your Facebook stories.
With the help of the info in this post, you will hopefully be able to delete stories on Facebook with ease now.